The Nonprofit Academic Centers Council is a membership association comprised of academic centers or programs at accredited colleges and universities that are devoted to the study of the nonprofit sector,
philanthropy and voluntary action to advance education, research, and practice that increase the nonprofit sector's ability to enhance civic engagement, democracy, and human welfare.
Established in 1991, NACC is the first group entirely dedicated to the promotion and networking of centers that provide research and education in philanthropy and the nonprofit sector.
The Role of Nonprofit Organizations & Academic Centers
Nonprofit organizations play an indispensable role in the lives of communities, groups, and individuals.
Embracing educational, artistic, religious, health, and community organizations, the nonprofit sector accounts for 10 percent of the United States economy, employs almost 10 percent of the workforce, and is assisted by more than 100 million volunteers.
At universities across the nation, dedicated students and nonprofit professionals are seeking the knowledge they need to make an impact on the nonprofit sector and the world. Responding to this demand, more than 255 colleges and universities provide at least one class in nonprofit management, including 157 schools that offer at least one course within a graduate department. On these campuses and others, centers for the study of philanthropy and nonprofit organizations are a focal point for diverse disciplines to combine thoughtful scholarship with practical applications.
NACC supports such academic centers by:
- Providing leadership to strengthen existing centers
- Supporting the establishment of new centers
- Serving as a resource for sharing best practices
- Fostering collaboration among programs and centers
- Developing creative approaches to researcher-practitioner collaborations
- Advancing universities' missions of teaching, research, and service through nonprofit studies
- Developing and promoting curricular guidelines
- Identifying issues for NACC action on behalf of its members